Proposals are invited for a one-day conference exploring the relationship between composers of the English Musical Renaissance (EMR) and the church.
Organised by the Royal Musical Association and Durham University’s Centre for Nineteenth-Century Studies, the event will be held on 5 November 2018 at Durham University.
Researchers are encouraged to submit proposals for individual or panel sessions, with suggested topics including:
- EMR composers and hymnody
- EMR composers and science, especially evolutionary thought
- EMR composers, revealed and natural theologies
- EMR composers and the liturgy
- Analytical approaches to the church music of EMR composers
- The church music of EMR composers and the long nineteenth century
- EMR composers, and sacralisation of the secular
- EMR composers, legacies today
The deadline for proposals is 5 October 2018. Submission guidelines are available here.